“If it matters to you it means everything to us.”


Contact Us

  • Nottingham: 0115 947 0032

Green Card Guidance For British Drivers After Brexit

Driving 2732934 1920

Millions of British drivers have been warned they will need a Green Card when driving in the EU after Brexit. Guidance from the Association of British Insurers (ABI) and Motor Insurance Bureau (MIB) advises that UK drivers should be prepared to have a Green Card when driving in EU countries after midnight on March 29th 2019.

A Green Card is an international certificate of insurance which guarantees that a motorist has the necessary third-party insurance cover, and proves they are suitably insured to drive in another country.

The Department for Transport has published a guidance document confirming that if the UK leaves the EU without a deal, it expects that the UK will no longer be part of the ‘free circulation zone’. This means drivers will need to carry a physical copy of a Green Card document to prove that they have valid insurance cover for their vehicle when driving in EU countries.

Covea Insurance has announced it has begun the process of issuing green cards and is asking their clients to advise of travel at least three to four weeks before the travel date to allow for enough time to arrange for a Green Card to be issued. This includes holidays which start before 29 March 2019 and end after this date.

In view of the current uncertainty around Brexit, we would advise that anyone who is planning to travel to Europe with their vehicle after midnight on 29th March 2019 should contact us for guidance on their insurer’s position regarding the need for a green card. We are happy to discuss this with you. Please get in touch with one of our expert team members on 0115 947 0032.